Content rewriting is one of the best skills to possess if you want to stay out of trouble of plagiarism or copyright issues by not citing the source of the ideas. To learn of the best tips on how to summarize a story, check out the following tips that are prepared for you so that you can accomplish the task easier and faster.
How to Summarize Story
Learning how to rewrite a story is one of the most important skills to master no matter what industry you want to belong to later in life. If you are a student, one of the tasks for summarizing that might be assigned to you is to summarize website or story. Now, let’s discuss the main tips to know if you want to master the task of paraphrasing a story.
- Preparation: Before you could even start with the task, you will need to do a careful and thorough reading of the story. While doing so, you should make sure that you are highlighting or underlining significant events in the story. You should also be able to read again and then take down notes of names and places in the story that you should mention in the summary later.
- Writing the introduction: This writing requires that you start with the name of the author and the title of the story. This is to give your readers an idea at a glance of a little background of the story. Then, the subsequent sentences must highlight the answers to the questions—who, what, when….
- Writing the main points, which lead the author to his conclusion: What are the main events presented in the story that help in leading the readers to the ending of the story?
- Writing the conclusion: When done with the above components of your story summary, you should be able to write the conclusion. Make sure that it is in harmony with the preceding paragraphs. What was the outcome of the events? How did the story end? What happened to the characters? Were they able to achieve their main purposes, as presented by the author?
- Not writing your opinion: When writing a summary, don’t try to add your opinion about the story, author and the turnout of the events. You don’t need to include suggestions on how the author could have ended the story to make it more appealing and convincing in your opinion. This is not a review, but a summary. Therefore, this paper is a summary or shortened version of the original story.
- Editing and checking for details: When done writing, check your paper. See to it that you have included all the main points or events in the story. Also, check that you did not write about any of your personal opinion about the story. Also, see to it that your paper is much shorter than the original story. Finally, apply final touches and be ready to rewrite it again for a flawless and well-polished paper.
Reasons to Summarize Story
Students can improve their reading and comprehension skills by summarizing a story. It is a good practice that most teachers give their students in class. To write a summary is one way to test a student’s thinking skills. This can help them improve understanding of the text, leading to better absorption of learning from lessons.
Above are the six tips in effectively summarizing text that you have to know in order to improve your English skills, including reading, comprehension, writing and editing skills.