“It’s hard to rephrase a paragraph,” you’re saying. It’s acceptable that not all people know how to rewrite text, but don’t worry. You’re not alone; in fact, many people still struggle at rephrasing text. But just like all other writing tasks, things would be easier for you if you know of the right process of rewriting, which you’re about to learn here. Before that though, there are some mistakes you have to know to learn why you are still an amateur in rephrasing.
Check out a useful list of the best English paraphrasing tools to know how to make your content 100% authentic, quality!
Rewrite My Paragraph: Why I’m Still an Amateur?
- Not reading and understanding the text properly: This is one of the biggest mistakes to avoid if you want to master the art of rewriting. Understanding takes a big part of the equation when it comes to accomplishing such task. Spend enough time in reading and understanding the main thesis and points in the story or paper. In the process, writing will flow naturally later.
- Staring at the source while rewriting: If you don’t want to be distracted, focus on your task on hand, which is rewriting. “Rewrite my paper“. “Rewrite my paragraph.” Yes, you can, if you will just focus on the process itself. Do not look at the source when working on the rewritten version. This will take so much of your time as well as it will just confuse you in the process.
- Not including signal phrases or words: As you may know, you may want to use some direct quotes from the author in your version. To avoid plagiarism, you should use signal words or phrases, such as according to, based on, ___ states that, ___ adds that… These signal phrases can tell your readers that those ideas are not yours and that you are giving proper credit to the author or source of the idea. This is a good writing ethic to remember at all times.
- Not using basic language: Some writers commit the mistake of using so many jargon words into their versions. What happened is that they are making use of a dictionary too often at one time, which is why they tend to fill their version up with hard to understand words. To avoid this mistake, write independently and do not try to replace words with their synonyms. These may not only confuse but these may also make your work less understandable than you envisioned it to be.
- Not devoting enough time in working on the paper: Some students fail at arriving at a well-written rewrite version because they tend to start on the task when the deadline is close. Avoid this mistake by starting early so that you still have enough time in applying changes in your work before submitting it to your professor or teacher.
- Injecting personal opinion: Do not include your perspective in the rewrite; this is not a review.
Quick Tips on How to Rephrase a Paragraph
Read the text and understand it whole-heartedly. If you do, then you won’t have a hard time in accomplishing your task. You can also rewrite more effectively because you will be able to convey the message from the original source into your paper because you understand it from the very beginning. Also, you should not change words into their synonyms or rewrite word for word. This is not effective, but it is time-consuming. If you want to rewrite in a more efficient manner, get the gist of the story and a couple of the main points mentioned.
You can try using APA format paraphrasing if the original work was written that way. Also, see to it that you are using a logical flow in your sentences and you are using the right structures for your readers’ understanding.