What Is Summarizing and What Are the Purposes of The Summary
Summarizing a text is about cutting the details short and presenting the key points only. The length of the summary depends on the length of the text. Summarizing is required at various different places in academic and professional life, that is the reason, people try to find out that how to summarize a text.
When we talk about the purposes of summary, it can vary with the nature of the text and who need the summary. But the most important purpose is to collect the key points and know the basic idea of the text, without getting into unnecessary details. Another purpose is to save your time. Reading a text can take a long time but reading a summary gives the same idea in a short time. Another purpose of summarizing text is to attract the reader. Usually, summaries are written on the back of books flaps. They encourage the reader to read the full book.
Examples of Text Summarizing
Here are few examples of text summarizing:
“Our environment is constantly changing. There is no denying that. However, as our environment changes, so does the need to become increasingly aware of the problems that surround it. With a massive influx of natural disasters, warming and cooling periods, different types of weather patterns and much more, people need to be aware of what types of environmental problems our planet is facing.”
The environment of our planet is changing, and it’s important to spread awareness about different types of environmental problems.
Pollution of air, water, and soil require millions of years to recoup. Industry and motor vehicle exhaust is the number one pollutants. Heavy metals, nitrates and plastic are toxins responsible for pollution. While water pollution is caused by oil spill, acid rain, urban runoff; air pollution is caused by various gases and toxins released by industries and factories and combustion of fossil fuels; soil pollution is majorly caused by industrial waste that deprives soil from essential nutrients.
There are a number of factors, which are responsible for the pollution, either its air, water or soil pollution.
Summarizing entails careful thinking, planning writing and editing. It is equally important as paraphrasing academic writing. When you summarize, you don’t leave needed information behind, but you include them. In this case, you become a reader first before a writer. This point is further discussed later in the article. First, let’s talk about the most creative ways on how to summarize a text easily:
- Read and understand the essay, journal or presentation. Doing so will help you in comprehending the points stated in the article. It will also help you accomplish the task easier and faster. Without reading and understanding, you may have to go back to the original paper over and over again. This is time-consuming and distracting. If you understand it, you will not have a hard time in writing.
- Take down notes while reading. It involves writing down important words or keywords. It will also help you build a vocabulary bank in the process because you will be able to learn new words, which you don’t understand. Get a dictionary ready for reference in finding the meaning of the words. Also, writing some important words will help you in writing later. These clue words will aid in better understanding of the whole point of the article or paper.
- Identify the thesis of the paper. This is the main topic of discussion. For example, is it about air pollution and ways that man pollutes the air? Is it about conserving nature? The main topic of the essay or story will help you in making an outline of what to write or include in your paper. Also, it will help you in identifying the main argument of the author.
- Take down notes of the arguments presented by the author. These can be in the form of examples or statistics. Identify these examples in the essay so that you can refer to them later. However, you don’t need to include everything you find in the paper. Only choose between two and three illustrations or supporting details used by the author in highlighting his stand or thesis in the paper and do not copy the author’s words but rephrase text.
- Begin writing. Start with the name of the author and the title of the write-up. This will help the readers in identifying the author of the story or paper. Also, it will keep you out of trouble because you are able to highlight the source of your paper. It will also keep you away from plagiarism issues. To avoid them try paraphrasing sentences. Plagiarism is the act of copying and pasting the ideas or statements of someone else without identifying or giving him credit in your paper. If you are able to mention him in the very beginning, you will be able to give him a proper citation and that you are acknowledging that the ideas presented in your paper are him and not yours. Doing so will also help in building your credibility for your readers. You will be seen as a reputable author who does not steal someone else’s ideas or statements and you can also show that you did your reading and understanding of his story or article.
- When done, go back to the source and compare it with your paper. Are you able to include the points the author mentioned?
- After, you should also be able to remove irrelevant ideas in the rewrite. This is to make sure that you’re not wasting space.
- Edit and read your summary once more and see if you are able to highlight the author’s ideas in a proper way and if you did not inject your personal views. Avoid it. This is a rewrite, not a review.
There you have the 8 creative ways in summarizing text without committing plagiarism. As a rewriter, you’re first a reader, so be able to read and understand to become an effective one. Take note of these tips and follow the best paraphrasing tools list when working on a similar task.
An Effective Summary
Here are a few points, which make summary an effective one:
- The introductory sentence of the summary tells the main idea or the concept of the text.
- It should include all the key points.
- Irrelevant details should not be included
- Similar ideas should be collected together
- The text should be paraphrased accurately
- The main idea should not be changed
- It should not be very long
- It should not contain any mistakes.
- The summary should be well organized.
- Quotation marks should be used, when exact words from the original text are used.