Summarizing entails careful thinking, planning writing and editing. It is equally important as rephrase text. When you summarize, you don’t leave needed information behind, but you include them. In this case, you become a reader first before a writer. This point is further discussed later in the article. First, let’s talk about the most creative ways on how to summarize a text easily.
- Read and understand the essay, journal or presentation. Doing so will help you in comprehending the points stated in the article. It will also help you accomplish the task easier and faster. Without reading and understanding, you may have to go back to the original paper over and over again. This is time-consuming and distracting. If you understand it, you will not have a hard time in writing.
- Take down notes while reading. It involves writing down important words or keywords. It will also help you build a vocabulary bank in the process because you will be able to learn of new words, which you don’t understand. Get a dictionary ready for reference in finding the meaning of the words. Also, writing some important words will help you in writing later. These clue words will aid in better understanding of the whole point of the article or paper.
- Identify the thesis of the paper. This is the main topic of discussion. For example, is it about air pollution and ways that man pollutes the air? Is it about conserving nature? The main topic of the essay or story will help you in making an outline of what to write or include in your paper. Also, it will help you in identifying the main argument of the author.
- Take down notes of the arguments presented by the author. These can be in the form of examples or statistics. Identify these examples in the essay so that you can refer to them later. However, you don’t need to include everything you find in the paper. Only choose between two and three illustrations or supporting details used by the author in highlighting his stand or thesis in the paper.
- Begin writing. Start with the name of the author and the title of the write-up. This will help the readers in identifying the author of the story or paper. Also, it will keep you out of trouble because you are able to highlight the source of your paper. It will also keep you away from plagiarism issues. To avoid them try paraphrasing sentences. Plagiarism is the act of copying and pasting the ideas or statements of someone else without identifying or giving him credit in your paper. If you are able to mention him in the very beginning, you will be able to give him proper citation and that you are acknowledging that the ideas presented in your paper are him and not yours. Doing so will also help in building your credibility for your readers. You will be seen as a reputable author who does not steal someone else’s ideas or statements and you can also show that you did your reading and understanding of his story or article.
- When done, go back to the source and compare it with your paper. Are you able to include the points the author mentioned?
- After, you should also be able to remove irrelevant ideas in the rewrite. This is to make sure that you’re not wasting space.
- Edit and read your summary once more and see if you are able to highlight the author’s ideas in a proper way and if you did not inject your personal views. Avoid it. This is a rewrite, not a review.
There you have the 8 creative ways in summarizing text without committing plagiarism. As a rewriter, you’re first a reader, so be able to read and understand to become an effective one. Take note of these tips and follow them when working on a similar task.