No matter you are a professional or a student, learning of the best ways on how to rewrite a text is one of the best skills to possess because it can save you from so much trouble by not copying and pasting the text or statements of the author in your essay, article, blog or presentation, among other types of written documents.
By learning how to rewrite, you will also be able to repurpose an essay or a paper that you own for a different audience. To learn of the best ways on how to work on a rewrite easier and faster, see the following tips prepared just for you.
Rewriting Text: The Five Best Tips to Follow
- Scan or highlight your article or paper. Before you could start with paraphrasing sentences, you should be able to understand the text. If not, you might have to take a longer time in rewriting. So what to do is to sit down and spend some time in reading and understanding the story or essay. If you do, the process of rewriting will come easier and faster.
- While reading, see to it that you take down important notes, phrases and statements. You can use this information later as well as you can search for the meaning of words you cannot understand using a thesaurus. These keywords will also help you in keeping the main ideas or arguments presented by the author.
- Speaking of the keywords and the main points, you also have to identify the thesis of the paper. Is the author pro or anti? What is his stand about a particular topic, if you’re rewriting an essay? Now if you’re rewriting a blog for example, you also have to get the thesis as well as take down notes of the most important details presented by the writer in the paper. This is the essence of rewriting. You are making a shorter version of the text, but you are not leaving out the important details that the readers will find and learn about if they are to read the original piece.
- You can also use supporting points of the author in your paper, but you don’t need to include all these. Remember that you’re writing a shorter version; therefore, you don’t need to come up with the same word count as the author did. You don’t also have to include irrelevant details in the essay so that you can stick with the word count for this rewrite. You don’t need to come up with a paper as long as or even longer than the original. This will not meet the main goal of the task, which is to make a brief version of the text, without compromising the message of the original. Also, you don’t include any of your personal opinions in the rewrite. This is not a review; therefore, be straight to the point and steer clear from injecting your opinion of the matter in the paper.
- When done, read your version and read it again aloud to ensure that you did not forget any important details presented in the text. This will also help you spot any irrelevant information that you have to take out from the rewritten version. Make sure that you have highlighted the most important details that have to be in the paper. Remember, you are rewriting but you are not omitting essential information for the understanding of the readers. But sometimes summarizing works as good as rewriting, so it won’t hurt you to look for some tips on how to summarize an essay.
These are the 5 easy and simple tips to rewriting text that you have to know so that you can help readers scan through an article, blog or journal, among others, but still get the gist of the original piece. Spend some time in understanding the original and don’t forget to include most important details in the rewrite or just try to use paraphrasing engine.